Inventory Unit Detail
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan® 1700 Nomad™
Sale: Save $1,000.00 now until 5/31/2019
Skagit Valley Polaris-Kawasaki
Vulcan® 1700 Nomad™
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52 deg. V-twin
- Displacement: 1,700 cc / 103.7 cu. in.
- Bore x Stroke: 102 x 104 mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Maximum Torque: 108 lb-ft @ 2,750rpm
- Cooling System: Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Induction: Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Transmission: Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Frame Type: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
- Rake/Trail: 30 deg. / 7.0 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 43 mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90x16
- Rear Tire Size: 170/70x16
- Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Overall length: 98.4 in.
- Overall width: 40.4 in.
- Ground clearance: 5.1 in.
- Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Color Choices: Candy Neptune Blue / Metallic Phantom Silver, Ebony / Metallic Moondust Grey
- Warranty: 24 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Final Drive: Belt
- Overall height: 57.7 in.
- Seat height: 28.7 in.
- Curb weight: 834 lb.
New for 2011
- Redesigned mufflers offer improved sound quality and feature a more tapered, classic look
- Improved and quieter shifting action via revised 1st gear ratio and taller teeth on the third and fourth gears
- Improved EFI settings that match the new muffler assemblies more accurately
- Refinished intake manifold is smoothed internally for improved fuel mixture flow
- Powerful 1,700cc liquid-cooled V-twin
- Six-speed transmission for relaxed cruising
- Electronic cruise control maintains speed for more comfort on long trips and works with the electronic throttle valve system for precision
- Optically correct windshield is height adjustable
- Deluxe passenger backrest is standard equipment
- Chrome backrest support features ergonomic passenger grab handles for comfort
- Lockable, color matched, top-opening hard saddlebags are capacious and easy to pack
- Low 28.7-inch seat height enhances the comfortable riding position
- Adjustable handlebar-mounted and optically correct windscreen is shaped for optimum airflow management without compromising the Nomad's cruiser styling
- Strong chrome-plated steel supports
- Two-position height
- Sub-windshield and deflectors further increase wind protection
- The sub-windshield covers the area between the windshield and headlight when the windshield is in the raised position, while fork-mounted deflectors help direct air away from the rider's legs
Touring Seats and Passenger Backrest
- Sculpted rider and passenger seats offer all-day comfort and support
- Sturdy backrest with integrated passenger grab bars contributes to passenger confidence
- Passenger floorboards add extra comfort to the 2-up equation
Hard, Lockable Side Cases
- The Nomad features hard, lockable, top-opening side cases that each provide 10 gallons (38L) of sealed storage space for overnight touring
- Front and rear guards help protect the bike's engine and hard side cases in the event of a tip-over
- Helmet locks are conveniently located on the left and right-side saddlebag guards
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
- Liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
- Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke helps deliver high levels of torque with a distinct V-twin feel
- Valve system is based on the Vulcan 2000, but uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid-high rpm power
- Semi-dry sump design allows a lower crankshaft placement and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
- Single-pin crank accentuates the engine's V-twin character by providing stronger power pulses
- Large-capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
- Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
- Dual mufflers, one on each side of the bike, allow maximum clearance for luggage
- Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
- Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly in this speed range, facilitating overtaking at highway speeds
Next-generation Fuel Injection
- Based on the systems used by the Ninja® 650R and Vulcan 900 motorcycles
- Utilizes one sensor in place of the usual three for reduced complexity and weight
- The touring-oriented Nomad utilizes FI and exhaust systems tuned to reach peak torque and horsepower at a higher rpm than the engines used in standard Vulcan 1700 cruisers
On Board Diagnostics
- Diagnostic system allows self-testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
- System displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner using accessory manual
Electronic Throttle Valve System
- Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
- Optimized fuel injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
- Control of both fuel injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
- From the rider's perspective, the ETV works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip is still connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
- Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body, which triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
- Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
- Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
- Cruise control can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
- Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal will automatically disengage the cruise control, as will manually rolling off the throttle
Six-speed Transmission / Final Drive
- Six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder
- 5th and 6th are overdrive gears for excellent fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
- 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt has a tensile strength that's 40 percent greater compared to current Kevlar belts, allowing the Vulcan 1700 to use a slim belt only 2mm wider than the Kevlar unit on the Vulcan 900
- Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
Light Handling Chassis
- The frame features a short wheelbase for optimal ergonomics and easy maneuverability
- Lightweight and slim, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength: the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
- This compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates low-speed handling, especially maneuvers such as parking or U-turns
43mm Telescopic Fork
- Provides superb steering feedback
- 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
- Optimized damping and spring settings for a plush but controlled ride
Dual Adjustable Rear Air Shocks
- Air-adjustable shocks can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
- 4-way rebound damping adjustments help the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
- Chrome shock covers contribute to the bike's overall luxurious finish
9-Spoke Cast Wheels
- Allow the use of tubeless tires, and nicely complement the Nomad's styling
- 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
- Tire choice and suspension settings selected augment the chassis' light handling characteristics
Classic V-twin Styling
- Basic engine architecture positively impacts the V-twin's overall appearance
- The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved shape that continues to flow through the bike
- Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces; their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a high-quality appearance
- Cooling fin edges have a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
- All the engine's non-chromed parts have a matte black finish to accentuate the chrome
- The fuel tank's hand-sculpted contours employ constantly varying radii, giving the bike a dynamic flowing style which is pleasing both to the eye and to the touch
- Elegantly shaped fuel tank contributes to the Nomad's curvaceous figure
- Front fender design continues through the rear fender, which features an elegant LED taillight
- Ignition switch allows on-position key removal, which prevents keys from scratching the instrument cluster or tank while the bike is in operation
- Turning the ignition switch to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
- Multi-function LCD displays on the tank-mounted instrument cluster are controlled by switches on the right handle. Features include a gear-position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
- Liberal use of chrome on the engine, fender brackets, light stays, saddlebag accents and front and rear guards contrasts nicely with the bodywork's deep, lustrous paint
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52 deg. V-twin
- 1,700 cc / 103.7 cu. in.
- Bore and Stroke
- 102 x 104 mm
- Liquid-Cooled, plus cooling fins
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- TCBI with Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 43 mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 65.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 28.7 in.
- 30 deg.
- 7.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal.
- Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Final Drive
- Candy Neptune Blue / Metallic Phantom Silver, Ebony / Metallic Moondust Grey
- 24 months